Many womens are very much interested in the sewing processes and they always want to learn the new sewing skills to make the diy dresses at home. The stitching or sewing skills are not only about stitching the new dresses but it is also about turning the old dresses into the new model dresses. When you have any old dress at your home, you can make it into maxi skirt or mini skirt as per your requirements. If you are preparing a skirt for a little girl, you can create the light weight tank top skirt which can be worn with the jeans.
Supplies you require:
The following are the sewing supplies which you require for making the dresses at your home. They include,
- ¾ or 1 inch elastic
- Sewing machine
- Safety pin
In order to turn a dress into a skirt at your home, you should need to have all these essential things in hand. All of these things are very important to cut your old dress perfectly to convert it as the mini or maxi skirt. Once you have got all these necessary items and you are ready for stitching, you should need to follow these instructions in an effective manner.
Instructions to be followed:
- Lay out the dress on the table and line up a hem on the back and front sides. It is also very important to make sure that the dress top is very smooth and the side seams are perfectly aligned. Once you have laid out the dress in the best manner, you have to pin it together.
- In this step, you have to determine how long your skirt will be. According to your needs, you can choose a particular length of the skirt whether it is a mini skirt or maxi skirt and mark the cutting line with the pins and ruler. If you are not sure with the length of the skirt, you have to lay down another skirt and mark its shape to prepare the new one.
- After that, you have to cut off the dress top using the scissors.
- The sewer has to overcast or serge the cutting edge of the skirt without cutting out any fabric.
- You have to turn the skirt to the wrong side and make the stitches according to the actual size of your skirt.
- In both sides of the skirts, you have to leave 2 inches or un-sewn dress and you should also need to give 2 inches space on the top of the skirt to insert the elastic.
In order to threat the elastic through the skirt casing and make a skirt out of a dress, you can attach the safety pin to one end and prepare it. You can adjust the elastic until the skirt fits well to your hip size and sew it together well using the sewing machine.